Clyde

Not sure about the weather conditions. I'm in the southeast USA so we
get our share of wet weather.

That's the beauty of redwood. Its a great outdoor wood.

WillR wrote:
When faced with problems like this I head down to the local building
supply. They are usually familiar with local conditions, building regs
and stuff. I presume there are no side issues like pools etc. that call
for oddball measures etc.

Sounds to me like you know a lot of the tricks tho.

I don't know your local weather conditions etc. but if it lasted 40
years it must be pretty good conditions - not much rain and no termites. :-
Lucky stiff! :-)