Clyde

When I was looking at getting replacement panels for the fence, I
couldn't find anyone online that carried aimilar basketweave.
Sections that were the same size but less "weave" were over $1000
each.

When I tried finding replacement redwood slats or rails I couldn't
find those either. I couldn't even find a supplier of 2x2 redwood for
the rails. None of my local suppliers had or knew any sources for
redwood, and I have a feeling I would not find a 4x4 redwood post that
would fit my budget.

The idea is to keep the redwood that I have since it's hard to come by
and really expensive.

I thought about using PVC because it's easier to drill holes in the
bottom and put bolts thru to add in "twist proofing" in the concrete
base. I'm sure I could find some square tubing that would probably be
better for the application and predrill holes in it I guess.

Perhaps a better concrete with higher shear strength or something
would also be advantageous.

Richard Cline wrote:
In article ,
Clyde wrote:

I would suggest that you do it the right way. Completely remove the old
post and install a new post. I believe that you will be happier in the
long run and it will probably be less work. I've replaced numerous
redwood posts on a basketweave fence. If the old post is set in
concrete it can be a real pain to dig up the concrete but it is still
only an extra hour. However it sounds like you plan to remove the old
base regardless. The new post needs to be strong if it supports the
gate so you need a good concrete base.

Concrete filled PVC will not have much sideways strength. The concrete
will easily fracture. You might fill the pipe with concrete and rebar
but I wouldn't bet on success.

If you are going to all this effort do something where you are confident
of success.