unknown user

Rudy wrote:
The green is GROUND not neutral. The white wire with the printing on it
should be your HOT wire to connect to black.
The OTHER white wire should be your neutral...if you look carefully, you
should be able to see small ridges running lengthwise on the white
insulation of that one..which again indicates Neutral or 'white' connection.

This is the conclusion after examining several pieces of various 2 conductor
white cord in my 'spare' wire box. All the ones with writing (either
printed in black or moulded right into the insulation) are 'smooth' HOT.
All the others have the ridged indication on them for neutral.
I'd guess it is this way because its easier to print/read on a smooth wire
instead of one with ridges on it

So I'd start there..and still check my socket with the multimeter to confirm

Out of 3 wires for connection, 1 green is for neutral. Then there are
two white wires. One white wire has some letter printed on the insulation
(such as 105C 18AWG etc). The other white wire has nothing
printed on it.

Got the rangehood installed tonight. The white wire with prints is
indeed the hot one and the other white wire is neutral, after using
multimeter for continuity check. I also checked socket shell as well
inside contact to make sure the shell is not hot. Everything is fine
now, and the rangehood works great.

Now think back, I remember I had a similar problem with the garbage
disposal some time ago. The In-sink-erator disposal did not come with
an extention wire with plug.so I had to buy one from Home Depot. Both
the hot and neutral wires are black. The hot wire has printed words on
it and the neutral one does not. The wire/plug came with an detailed
instruction sheet, and I had no problem with it.

Thanks all for the help.