Frank Erskine

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:26:02 +0100, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

Rod wrote:

I have just fitted some GET sockets (from TLC) and these have had the
firmest, most confidence-inspiring screws/wire clamping I have used.
Excellent.

MK plugs - pricey as they are - are a pleasure to wire up; form a loop
in the bared flex just large enough to slip over the brass stud (folded
in a clockwise-downwards spiral, of course, for compatibility with the
stud thread ;-) and screw down the bolts-with-captive-washers till
they're nice and snug.

I would agree wholeheartedly about MK plugs, but regarding sockets I
don't honestly think they are (or were) as good.

When I rewired my parents' house - ooh - over 20 years ago I used a
mixture of MK and Crabtree sockets, and had trouble with several of
the MK sockets - poor contact in the sockets gave rise to
overheating, even when using MK plugs and only lowish-power appliances
(food mixer, vacuum cleaner, etc).

Replacing the offending sockets with Crabtree ones solved everything.

Are Crabtree still about? I haven't seen 'em for years!

--
Frank Erskine