Doug Miller

In article , unknown user wrote:
I just bought a Canadian Rangehood (Cypress). The manual that comes
with the it doesn't tell anything on how to connect the wires.

Out of 3 wires for connection, 1 green is for neutral.

Nope. Green is for ground. Not neutral.

Then there are
two white wires. One white wire has some letter printed on the
insulation (such as 105C 18AWG etc). The other white wire has nothing
printed on it.

There is no WEB site or technical support number supplied on the
booklet. I am guess the wire with prints is the hot one, and the other
neutral.

You have a 50% chance of being right... :-) No reason, really, to assume one
way or the other. Best to test and make sure.

What the consequence will be if I connect the wire in that
way when it is the other way around?

The fan motor will operate properly either way, but reversing hot and neutral
creates the possibility of an electric shock hazard when changing light bulbs,
because the shell of the light socket will be live even with the switch off.

I opened the junction box inside the rangehood. There were lot of
wirenuts there for the 2 motor, 2 speed rangehood with lights. Each of
those two white wires are connected to black, white, yellow, brown wires
all over.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, it should be pretty easy to tell which is the
neutral and which is the hot. The meter will show continuity between the shell
of the light socket(s) and one of the two wires; that's the neutral. Connect
it to the white wire of the supply cable.

To double-check, look for continuity between the center contact of the light
socket(s) and the *other* wi there should be continuity with the light
switch on, and not with it off. That's the hot. Wrap black or red tape around
it to identify it, and connect it to the black wire of the supply cable.

--
Regards,