Tony Bryer

In article , Mary
Fisher wrote:
Funerals are for the living -
whatever makes the living feel a little better is a Good Thing.

You think funerals make people feel better?

Good ones, yes. Good being IMHO a ceremony that does justice to the
person who has died, not barely acknowledging them as some standard
form of words is gone through and not painting them with words to be
someone who those attending don't recognise. I always remember that the
family who conducted my father's funeral recounting going round to see
him and finding him undoing knots in some string so it could be used
again: everyone laughed: that was the person they knew and had come to
remember. Of course it can be pretty hard to do this if you didn't know
the person and the family members are not forthcoming.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]