George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Red CloudŽ" wrote:

Actually it does have 3 M's! Do a google for ammmeter and see for yourself. I
know it looks funny, but that's the way it is spelled.

Don't know where you found it, but that's certainly not accepted.

Actually, I just did. There were only 380(!) hits for the
misspelling...that's pretty good, actually considering the millions of
correct spellings.

Let's see..."ampmeter" -- 9,080 hits w/ the "Did you mean 'amp meter'?"
message.

"ammeter" -- 203,000 (I'd thought it would be much higher)

Is there any English word w/ three consecutive letters in proper
spelling--sure can't think of one.

There are lots of English conventions and that is
certainly one--no more that 2 of the same
consonant in a row. Since you can possibly
pronounce it, and written language is just a
graphic translation of speech, three consonants in
a row doesn't make sense. Similarly, "u" has to
follow a "q" in English. Modern use does allow
spelling of some foreign words without the "u".
Don't really know why it is allowed with Arabic
since the alphabets don't have a one-to-one
relationship any more than Cyrillic does to
English. On the other hand, advertisers spell
anything anyway that they want, but those spelling
remain substandard or unacceptable.