Harry Everhart

Default Voltmeter on House Current

I recently bought this neat little meter that you plug into the wall. It
tells you volts - amps - watts - cycles - and how much power and
appliance uses. You plug it into the outlet - and then you plug an
appliance into it. It tells how many amps and watts the appliance is
using. The computer will even tell you how many KWH you used since the
reset.

I am amazed at how much the voltage fluctuates though - right now it is
119.5 volts. But I have seen id down to 112 volts.

The meter is called the "Kill A Watt" P3. Model P4400. I got it for $9
from True Value.

Harry
m Ransley

Right, Kill -a -Watt independantly tested and found very accurate , 9$
is cheap they used to be 50$. Great to use on a frige to compare to new
units to decide if you can get a good payback. or see if it draws to
much on different cycles. Good for checking generator Hz output. Great
to see what Tvs , Vcrs, radios etc all pull at rest and find the power
hogs. Buying one led me to find easy ways to save 20 a month. Now get a
clamp on digital ampmeter that goes to 0.01A a 35$ Greenlee and do your
own energy audit.

Joseph Meehan

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message
I recently bought this neat little meter that you plug into the wall. It
tells you volts - amps - watts - cycles - and how much power and
appliance uses. You plug it into the outlet - and then you plug an
appliance into it. It tells how many amps and watts the appliance is
using. The computer will even tell you how many KWH you used since the
reset.

I am amazed at how much the voltage fluctuates though - right now it is
119.5 volts. But I have seen id down to 112 volts.

That's about normal. Anything between 110 and 120 is certainly normal.
It is not unusual to be well outside those numbers and that can be a
problem. It is also possible that there is a wiring fault in your home, but
if that is the max swing, it is likely just normal supply changes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

m Ransley

Depending on time of day it can be normal for your area to go down
during the day as the utility Co load increases, if it happens just
when your AC is on or varies alot then it is worth looking into. Call
the utility Co they will say what is normal for your area and what is
not.

Edwin Pawlowski

"m Ransley" wrote in message

. Great to use on a frige to compare to new
units to decide if you can get a good payback. or see if it draws to
much on different cycles.

Sort of. But a unit that draws 5 amps is more costly to run that draw 7
amps but only runs half as long. You need a timer to go with it.

Jeff Wisnia

m Ransley wrote:
Right, Kill -a -Watt independantly tested and found very accurate , 9$
is cheap they used to be 50$. Great to use on a frige to compare to new
units to decide if you can get a good payback. or see if it draws to
much on different cycles. Good for checking generator Hz output. Great
to see what Tvs , Vcrs, radios etc all pull at rest and find the power
hogs. Buying one led me to find easy ways to save 20 a month. Now get a
clamp on digital ampmeter that goes to 0.01A a 35$ Greenlee and do your
own energy audit.

OK, I'll bite. Assuming the Greenlee you refer to is a hole punch, how
is it used in the audit? Do you punch holes in boxes so you can pull a
loop of current carrying conductor out to clamp the ammmeter onto? G
(That's "amm", not "amp" BTW.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
m Ransley wrote:
Right, Kill -a -Watt independantly tested and found very accurate , 9$
is cheap they used to be 50$. Great to use on a frige to compare to new
units to decide if you can get a good payback. or see if it draws to
much on different cycles. Good for checking generator Hz output. Great
to see what Tvs , Vcrs, radios etc all pull at rest and find the power
hogs. Buying one led me to find easy ways to save 20 a month. Now get a
clamp on digital ampmeter that goes to 0.01A a 35$ Greenlee and do your
own energy audit.

OK, I'll bite. Assuming the Greenlee you refer to is a hole punch, how
is it used in the audit? Do you punch holes in boxes so you can pull a
loop of current carrying conductor out to clamp the ammmeter onto? G
(That's "amm", not "amp" BTW.)

Greenlee relabels several meters, and puts their name on them. Just like
most of the Greenlee electrical handtools are Kliens that have green handles
on them instead of blue, or yellow, etc..

Also, some of us prefer CLAMPmeter.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

m Ransley

The Kill a watt records time, and records actual Kwh used over the time
\period in memory so you leave it plugged into your frige for a period,
then you can know what your months bill may be. I forget if it a 100 or
1000 hr clock. Compare it to the Energy Guide label and you have the
start of a comparison. It is not just an amp meter it logs info till you
unplug it so you can retrieve and record your findings.

Art Todesco

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
m Ransley wrote:

Right, Kill -a -Watt independantly tested and found very accurate , 9$
is cheap they used to be 50$. Great to use on a frige to compare to new
units to decide if you can get a good payback. or see if it draws to
much on different cycles. Good for checking generator Hz output. Great
to see what Tvs , Vcrs, radios etc all pull at rest and find the power
hogs. Buying one led me to find easy ways to save 20 a month. Now get a
clamp on digital ampmeter that goes to 0.01A a 35$ Greenlee and do your
own energy audit.

OK, I'll bite. Assuming the Greenlee you refer to is a hole punch, how
is it used in the audit? Do you punch holes in boxes so you can pull a
loop of current carrying conductor out to clamp the ammmeter onto? G
(That's "amm", not "amp" BTW.)

Jeff

Jeff,
Don't you just hate it. It's ammeter, not ammmeter!
Duane Bozarth

" wrote:
Also, some of us prefer CLAMPmeter.

Maybe CLAMmeter?

Donald Gares

Harry Everhart wrote:
(text snipped)
The meter is called the "Kill A Watt" P3. Model P4400. I got it for $9
from True Value.

Wow, only $9.00! I just purchased a new one on e-Bay (same model) for
$27.83 (including shipping) and I thought that was a good deal. I had
searched the web before I purchased and did not find them close to
$9.00. Are you sure that $9.00 was the correct price? If so, I will go
to my nearest True Value and buy all they have and then put them on
e-Bay. :-)

Don

Harry Everhart

I bought mine for $9 at True Value Hardware. I bought it for one reason
- it was $9 :-)

Wife thought it was stupid - still does :-)

Harry
Duane Bozarth

"Red CloudŽ" wrote:
Actually it does have 3 M's! Do a google for ammmeter and see for yourself. I
know it looks funny, but that's the way it is spelled.

Don't know where you found it, but that's certainly not accepted.

Actually, I just did. There were only 380(!) hits for the
misspelling...that's pretty good, actually considering the millions of
correct spellings.

Let's see..."ampmeter" -- 9,080 hits w/ the "Did you mean 'amp meter'?"
message.

"ammeter" -- 203,000 (I'd thought it would be much higher)

Is there any English word w/ three consecutive letters in proper
spelling--sure can't think of one.
Duane Bozarth

"Red CloudŽ" wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:38:30 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

"Red CloudŽ" wrote:
Actually it does have 3 M's! Do a google for ammmeter and see for yourself. I
know it looks funny, but that's the way it is spelled.

Don't know where you found it, but that's certainly not accepted.

Actually, I just did. There were only 380(!) hits for the
misspelling...that's pretty good, actually considering the millions of
correct spellings.

Let's see..."ampmeter" -- 9,080 hits w/ the "Did you mean 'amp meter'?"
message.

"ammeter" -- 203,000 (I'd thought it would be much higher)

Is there any English word w/ three consecutive letters in proper
spelling--sure can't think of one.

It is not an english word at all. It is technical jargon, and 3 m's is correct.

Where do you get the third one from? Am(pere)Meter...the third is only
a typo that has propogated.

As for the "word", Oxford dictionary has "ammeter" right there in
full-blown glory.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ammeter&db=*

4 entries found for ammeter.

amˇmeˇter ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mmtr)
n.

An instrument that measures electric current in amperes.

[am(pere) + -meter.]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ammmeter&db=*

No entry found for ammmeter.

Did you mean ammeter?

Suggestions:
ammeter
atmometer
anemometer
ohmmeter
Mammet

Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

"Red CloudŽ" wrote:

[...]

Before I started this I did check the spelling to keep from making a
bigger fool of myself than needed, and this:

An ammeter is a measuring instrument used to measure the flow of
electric current in a circuit. Electric currents are measured in
amperes, hence the name. The word "ammeter" is commonly misspelled or
mispronounced as "ampmeter" by some.

Came up at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampmeter

But thanks for the Greenley information. I always thought of them as
just a hole punch company. I've still got some of theirs I bought over
50 years ago for punching tube socket holes in aluminum chassis for my
ham radio projects. That was after I got rich enough to afford
them...Before than I had to use the "drill a circle of holes and and use
a half-round file" technique. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
" wrote:
Also, some of us prefer CLAMPmeter.

Maybe CLAMmeter?

LOL
Thanks..needed that laugh...

George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Red CloudŽ" wrote:

Actually it does have 3 M's! Do a google for ammmeter and see for yourself. I
know it looks funny, but that's the way it is spelled.

Don't know where you found it, but that's certainly not accepted.

Actually, I just did. There were only 380(!) hits for the
misspelling...that's pretty good, actually considering the millions of
correct spellings.

Let's see..."ampmeter" -- 9,080 hits w/ the "Did you mean 'amp meter'?"
message.

"ammeter" -- 203,000 (I'd thought it would be much higher)

Is there any English word w/ three consecutive letters in proper
spelling--sure can't think of one.

There are lots of English conventions and that is
certainly one--no more that 2 of the same
consonant in a row. Since you can possibly
pronounce it, and written language is just a
graphic translation of speech, three consonants in
a row doesn't make sense. Similarly, "u" has to
follow a "q" in English. Modern use does allow
spelling of some foreign words without the "u".
Don't really know why it is allowed with Arabic
since the alphabets don't have a one-to-one
relationship any more than Cyrillic does to
English. On the other hand, advertisers spell
anything anyway that they want, but those spelling
remain substandard or unacceptable.
stretch

NO, Two Ms is correct. Look it up in a technical manual or the
dictionary. I have been using that term as technical jargon since
........ 1960 or so when I got into electrical/electronics. It is
ammeter.

Stretch

Harry Everhart

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:
relationship any more than Cyrillic does to
English. On the other hand, advertisers spell
anything anyway that they want, but those spelling
remain substandard or unacceptable.

Advertisers spell word different for two reasons.
1. They can copyright the spelling and no one else can use it. Example -
"jello"
2. When you do a search on the internet - it is easy to find - example
"ipod"

JimL

wrote:

"Red CloudŽ" wrote:
Actually it does have 3 M's! Do a google for ammmeter and see for yourself. I
know it looks funny, but that's the way it is spelled.

Don't know where you found it, but that's certainly not accepted.

Actually, I just did. There were only 380(!) hits for the
misspelling...that's pretty good, actually considering the millions of
correct spellings.

Let's see..."ampmeter" -- 9,080 hits w/ the "Did you mean 'amp meter'?"
message.

"ammeter" -- 203,000 (I'd thought it would be much higher)

Is there any English word w/ three consecutive letters in proper
spelling--sure can't think of one.

Last week I finally bought a 'digital clamp multimeter - item 42396'.

I rushed home and clamped it around the power cord of the computer
that I leave on all the time. I wanted to know how many amps it was
drawing or how much money I'm wasting by not shutting it down. It
read zero of course, as I guess you need to hook it around one side of
the line at a time, right?

Harry Everhart

I rushed home and clamped it around the power cord of the computer
that I leave on all the time. I wanted to know how many amps it was
drawing or how much money I'm wasting by not shutting it down. It
read zero of course, as I guess you need to hook it around one side of
the line at a time, right?

You can do that with the Kill A Watt that I bought at True Value for $9.

Right now my Mac Powerbook G4 is drawing .57 Amps.

Kill A Watt is neat.

See one at -

http://tinyurl.com/55e32

They say it is $27 there - but I only paid $9 for mine.
Ralph Mowery

Last week I finally bought a 'digital clamp multimeter - item 42396'.

I rushed home and clamped it around the power cord of the computer
that I leave on all the time. I wanted to know how many amps it was
drawing or how much money I'm wasting by not shutting it down. It
read zero of course, as I guess you need to hook it around one side of
the line at a time, right?

YOu need to clamp the meter around only one wire in the cable. Make sure it
is not the ground wire either. There should be no current on the normally
green ground wire. If it is you have major wiring problems.
You may want to make up something like a short (about a foot long) dropcord
with 3 seperate wires to make the measuring easy.

Duane Bozarth

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Last week I finally bought a 'digital clamp multimeter - item 42396'.

I rushed home and clamped it around the power cord of the computer
that I leave on all the time. I wanted to know how many amps it was
drawing or how much money I'm wasting by not shutting it down. It
read zero of course, as I guess you need to hook it around one side of
the line at a time, right?

YOu need to clamp the meter around only one wire in the cable. Make sure it
is not the ground wire either. There should be no current on the normally
green ground wire. If it is you have major wiring problems.
You may want to make up something like a short (about a foot long) dropcord
with 3 seperate wires to make the measuring easy.

And, depending on the range of the meter, it may not read accurately at
all 1 A.
m Ransley

Clamp ons are realy made for the mains panel, I made up a 12"
intermediate plug with 3 separate wires for cheching apliances, But for
accuracy to 0.01A Digital you need to go to an electric supply house HD
etc models go only to 0.1A unless you get an expensive unit. 0.01A
digital is good for finding shorts , many houses loose to ground and
people dont know it.

Duane Bozarth

m Ransley wrote:

Clamp ons are realy made for the mains panel, I made up a 12"
intermediate plug with 3 separate wires for cheching apliances, But for
accuracy to 0.01A Digital you need to go to an electric supply house HD
etc models go only to 0.1A unless you get an expensive unit. 0.01A
digital is good for finding shorts , many houses loose to ground and
people dont know it.

My point precisely--JimL was trying out his new meter on his PC and I
was just noting even if he splits the power cord he's likely to not get
anything meaningful...

m Ransley wrote:

Clamp ons are realy made for the mains panel, I made up a 12"
intermediate plug with 3 separate wires for cheching apliances, But for
accuracy to 0.01A Digital you need to go to an electric supply house HD
etc models go only to 0.1A unless you get an expensive unit. 0.01A
digital is good for finding shorts , many houses loose to ground and
people dont know it.

My point precisely--JimL was trying out his new meter on his PC and I
was just noting even if he splits the power cord he's likely to not get
anything meaningful...

Ahh...thats where you take your clamp on, and use it with your 10 wrap that
you can buy that allows you to plug into the outlet and then plug into it.

JimL

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:11:59 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Last week I finally bought a 'digital clamp multimeter - item 42396'.

I rushed home and clamped it around the power cord of the computer
that I leave on all the time. I wanted to know how many amps it was
drawing or how much money I'm wasting by not shutting it down. It
read zero of course, as I guess you need to hook it around one side of
the line at a time, right?

YOu need to clamp the meter around only one wire in the cable. Make sure it
is not the ground wire either. There should be no current on the normally
green ground wire. If it is you have major wiring problems.
You may want to make up something like a short (about a foot long) dropcord
with 3 seperate wires to make the measuring easy.

And, depending on the range of the meter, it may not read accurately at
all 1 A.

Well, that's $10 shot to hell.

No, not really. I actually bought it for charging/checking my 20 yr
old 3 1/2 ton trane compressor and it's future replacement. The
next time I have the cover off, I'll use it to check the current in
the 220 lines. It will be a bit touchy as I can see where the
insulation has cracked and fallen off the wires for about 8 inches
before it goes into the compressor. The wire insulation has been
getting noon sun and city and chemical plant smog for 20 years. But
that damn trane just keeps on keeping on. I've heard you can't stop a
trane.

wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:

[...]

A clamp meter wont tell you anything of use, unless you are simply seeing if
the compressor is near its RLA, and of course, it will vary depending on the
temps...
A megger is what you want.

The
next time I have the cover off, I'll use it to check the current in
the 220 lines. It will be a bit touchy as I can see where the
insulation has cracked and fallen off the wires for about 8 inches
before it goes into the compressor. The wire insulation has been
getting noon sun and city and chemical plant smog for 20 years. But
that damn trane just keeps on keeping on. I've heard you can't stop a
trane.

Sure you can..wait till that sucker derails..LOL
Just ask Snowball.

Oh...and thank GE for that long running compressor....not Trane.

SJF

The meter is called the "Kill A Watt" P3. Model P4400. I got it for $9
from True Value.

Harry

What a deal! But I asked the purchasing guy at our local True Value. He'd
never heard of Kill-A-Watt and sure didn't have one in the store. ---
SJF

Harry Everhart

In article gfg8e.12845$%c1.2587@fed1read05, "SJF"
wrote:
What a deal! But I asked the purchasing guy at our local True Value. He'd
never heard of Kill-A-Watt and sure didn't have one in the store. ---
SJF

I got it over the Christmas break in December 2004 - last Christmas - at
the True Value M&S Hardware Store in Tamaqua, PA. I have been using it
ever since - here at our home in FL. Right now I have the computer
plugged into it - and it is drawing .45 amps and 24 watts. It is also
showing 59.9 cps and 119.5 volts. When I hook up my electric chainsaw
to it - it draws 8 amps when it starts and then drops to 6 amps while it
is running.

Here is a place that has it for - $26

http://www.microdaq.com/p3-internati...watt/index.php

I am sorry I can't help you out any better than this.

Funny - my wife was with me when I bought it - and she thought it was
stupid then and stupid now :-) Don't women know how neat it is to
measure the electric you are using? :-)

Harry

Harry
m Ransley

Harry, let her pay the utilities, then she wont find it so stupid.

Doug Boulter

Duane Bozarth wrote on 15 Apr 2005:

Is there any English word w/ three consecutive letters in proper
spelling--sure can't think of one.

Hmmmmmm, good question!

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Backlash

Most women I've encountered don't seem to give a rat's ass about how
something works. They just want it TO work, and RIGHT NOW! Famous line when
you're showing your wife something. "But what does it DO?"

RJ

wrote:
[...]

Stormin Mormon

I know of three words wh ich contain three sets of double letters. Aanndd,
II mmaayy tteell yyoouu iiff yyoouu aasskk.

I don't know of any words with three consecutive identical letters.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Is there any English word w/ three consecutive letters in proper
spelling--sure can't think of one.

Stormin Mormon

Yes, you need a splitter.

If you want a splitter on the cheap, Harbor Freight has really cheap 12 inch
long power extension cords with a triple outlet. Some very skilled surgery,
and some electrical tape and you can isolate the black wire out of the cord.
Plug cord into wall, item into cord, and clamp ammeter around black wire.

The power and neutral wires create opposing magnetic fields which cancell
each other out.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JimL" wrote in message

Last week I finally bought a 'digital clamp multimeter - item 42396'.

I rushed home and clamped it around the power cord of the computer
that I leave on all the time. I wanted to know how many amps it was
drawing or how much money I'm wasting by not shutting it down. It
read zero of course, as I guess you need to hook it around one side of
the line at a time, right?

m Ransley

I imagine with your 2 electric tanks, going gas tankless wlll save you
600 - 900 a year. I save 3- 350 a year net converting to Ng tankless an
82% efficient unit, plus you are offered 900 to do it. Is electric use
graphed out separatly. I will bet that is your big user.

m Ransley

Thats Takagi 92% Ng 95% propane, you forgot who mailed you the info
Harry.