TURTLE

"JimL" wrote in message

Hey Turtle.

You can spell however you like! I happen to like the way you
spell.

I also appreciate the good honest answers you have always given to
the home owners here and over on the 'other' board.
Over the many years I've been reading these groups, you far
surpass all the other professionals in helping the home owner. I'm
not saying that you any smarter than the others, I'm just saying that
you give good advice and the advice is given with a sense of caring
that doesn't come across with the others. I don't think you carry a
'red tag' in your heart or your truck. For the uninitiated,
several(most?) of the hvac people take great pleasure in shutting off
the heat to the elderly or economically disadvantaged on a cold
freezing night..

We have all seen the 'hidden camera' news shows and know what the
general character traits are of the people doing hvac repairs, so you
are a beacon of light in the dark dingy underworld of foul mouthed
dishonest repairmen.

Enough well deserved praise. Now let me give you some advice that
you can take or leave. Do you remember the phrase "Turn the other
cheek"? It doesn't apply everywhere such as when someone is
attacking your kids or spouse, but it certaintly applies to name
calling on these usenet boards.

Let me quote someone smarter than me that points out the phrase:
" The pacifist ethic to bear insults without complaint and to turn
the other cheek is related to the ethic to love one's enemy. Here the
emphasis is as much on the individual's internal attitude as it is
upon the other's welfare. If a person responds to evil in anger or
self-defense, he becomes attached to the evil and it can dominate him.
The anger and hatred of his attacker is transmuted into his own anger
and resentment at being a victim, and he loses his balance and
spiritual strength. But by bearing and accepting insults and abuse
without diminution of his own goodwill and mental concentration, he
can stay above the hatred and preserve a foundation of spiritual
independence and self-possession.

Ultimately, it is only by preserving his spiritual subjectivity in
the midst of the insults that a person can have the strength to love
his enemy and win him over. We include several striking examples:
from the Lotus Sutra of a monk who is victorious through never
disparaging his abusers, and the prophet Isaiah's servant of the Lord.

The concluding passages also deal with the justice of turning
the other cheek. They assume an inexorable principle of Divine
Justice, pp. 183-91, which will set things right and even vindicate
the victim's passivity. Paul argues that worldly retribution would
mitigate the punishment of God, hence, by not acting, the believer
will heap burning coals upon the head of his adversary. The Sutra of
Forty-two Sections likewise speaks to the demerit which will come to
the evildoer when his insult is accepted without responding. The
victim, on the other hand, gains merit through enduring persecution
and building the virtue of patience.

Let there be no injury and no requital. ....."

You can read more than what I stole of this author at:
http://origin.org/ucs/ws/theme145.cfm

Good luck and God Bless
JimL

This is Turtle.

Why Thank you for the words of the post. I have read it twice and have not got
all of the thoughts from it yet. Now You sure did explain respect to a tee !

Thank You There

TURTLE