David Cook

Just to add some relevant facts:
The original (damaged) element LOOKED ok...a little bit
pitted. After we removed it, we put an ohm-meter on it,
and it measured in the 1000's of ohms.
Then we purchased the new replacement element, and out of
curiosity, we put an ohm-meter on the new one before
replacing it. The value was MUCH smaller...about 24 ohms.

So, the bottom line seems to be that you should NOT judge
by appearances. Just remove the element and use an ohm-meter,
and if the value is greater than say 50 or 100 ohms, it is
defective...replace it!

HTH...

Olaf wrote:
"David Cook" wrote in message
Yes, I see the logic of your guess that it is the element that

failed.

And, to follow up, yes it WAS the element. We purchased a
replacement element (for about $40.00) at a local repair store,
and the oven is working again just fine...the oven now pre-heats
in about 5 minutes, just like a new oven!

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Cheers...

Dave

Glad to have participated in helping. Damn, I'm glad it wasn't the
thermostat... 8^D