"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is Turtle.

I was only speaking of the Ford Philco when they were making

refrigerators. Your
speaking total history which I don't really know about.

Turtle,

This isn't one of those REALLY old models that used the equivalant of
cyanide gas instead of freon, is it? Seems I recall reading somewhere
that there was a point in time when fridges were killing people if the
thing sprunk a leak.

Matt

Ammonia...for starters..
Sulphur Dioxide...how about methyl chloride?
Its how R12 came about. Frigidare corp, (Thomas Midgley Jr) and DuPont in
the 30s came up with good old dichlorodifluoromethane...R12.

What you DO NOT want is the new refrigerant that is possibly going to be
introduced to replace R134a.
R152a....its safe..till your compressor burns out, or you spring a leak and
get near it with any source of combustion..like plugging in something near
it and you get a little spark, or its been leaking and your door switch for
the light arks...
POOF.
Ward Wells, a senior engineer at DuPont says, that in tests it has produced
"very forceful combustion" when ignited.
Here is the complete article:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg15n1-samuel.html