Dave Morrison

Problem: I am getting shocks on the aluminum siding of my garage.

Background:
I have a single 12/2 romex wire running from from my house feeding my
garage. In the garage, it goes into a junction box, where the lights
for the garage are connected. The feed into the junction box is only 2
wires, there is no ground. I consulted an electrician (relative) and
he suggested to run a copper wire (6 wire?) from the junction box to a
grounding rod, and sink the rod into the ground. I did this, and am
still getting shocks. I checked where the feed enters the garage,
thinking maybe the wire is nicked, but it is not. Any other
suggestions, before I replace the feed wire (underground)?

Check your grounds and neutrals connections back at the main box.
also continuity of your 12/2 neutral wire.
A burned or dirty connection there or bad neutral could cause power to
seek the path of least resistance back to ground, your metal siding.
Let us know what you find.
Dave