Andy

Default Icemaker problem

bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem.

few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

TIA

Andy writes:

I had a Sears Kemore with an icemaker problem. Every 4 years or so
it would stop making ice and the tray would be frozen over. In every
case the problem was due to sediment buildup in the plastic tray.

When the motor turns the tray around and it hits against a cam, the
tray would twist and the ice would then fall into the container. The
problem was that with a big sediment buildup, all of the ice would stop
falling out. The next cycle would feed too much water into the tray,
since a few cubes of ice remained, and the whole thing would freeze
over. Nothing would "pop" out when the machine cycles...The tray would
remain full of ice, and frozen over solid.

So, I ordered a new plastic tray from Sears. About 10 bucks. They just
snap in and out. It ALWAYS fixed my problem..... This is an obscure
solution that most people won't be able to determine, so they replace
the motor AND tray and also pay a service charge.....

If this is your problem you can check on it easily by doing the
following:

1) remove the tray and check whether it is frozen over, that is, ice
is in the little compartments and is also coated by a layer of
ice over the top.

2) Twist the tray and get ALL of the ice out. Clean the
tray with CALGON or some other calcium sediment remover,
that is like what you use in your shower...Put the tray back.

3) See if it works properly for the next couple weeks. This is not
a permanent fix, since apparently, each sediment buildup messes
up the slick surface of the tray a little more...

But it is easier just to replace the tray....

Anyway, that is how my icemaker worked, and how I solved the
problem for over 20 years.... It is still working.......

Good luck,

Andy