TURTLE

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Matt wrote:

This is Turtle.

I was only speaking of the Ford Philco when they were making

refrigerators. Your

speaking total history which I don't really know about.

Turtle,

This isn't one of those REALLY old models that used the equivalant of
cyanide gas instead of freon, is it? Seems I recall reading somewhere
that there was a point in time when fridges were killing people if the
thing sprunk a leak.

Matt

Where do people come up with this crap. Old electric refrigerators used
ammonia and then they switched to freon. And what does equivalent of cyanide
gas mean? Either they used cyanide or they didn't. You really think anyone
ever put cyanide in a home product?

This is Turtle.

i don't know what your tring to say here but G/E Corp. in Refrigerators in
the late 1940's or early 1950's or there abouts made refrigerators with SO4
as the refrigerant in it. My Father worked on them and I was the Kid helper.
I do remember working on one refrigerator on maginolia street where the SO4
charge was let loose in the kitchen of a customer by accident . A tubing
line broke off and my father and I run for our live to the out doors. We got
to re enter the house in about 2 hours to finish.

The last SO4 refrigerator i seen was about 12 years ago when a fellow brought
it to you to try to fix it. I done away with the SO4 50 pound drum of gas we
had about 15 years ago. We had stainless steel guages and everything we had
to work on them with was stainless steel material or rubber hoses.

I don't remember anybody getting killed with the SO4 refrigerators but Carl
Harmon spent 3 days in the hospital for breathing a vapor he was hit with he
thought you put a regular tap on it for freon and not SO4 type tap. And No it
was not amonia type refigerator for amonia if spilled out. You walk away and
no problem but SO4 if you don't run your dead.

George they did make SO4 refrigerator to use in your home years ago for I've
worked on them. Now as to what the name is for SO4 for refrigerators is , you
be the judge for we called it SO or SO4 .

TURTLE

I was disputing the use of cyanide. Maybe what I said wasn't too clear, so
I'll say it a little more forcefully. I suggest that no manufacture would
produce a refrigeration unit for home use that uses cyanide. It just isn't
conceivable that the public would accept such a product, but all of the A/C
fluids were toxic or flammable before CFC were introduced. Nonetheless
cyanide is certainly one of the compounds tried experimentally.

Sulfur dioxide along with ammonia, carbon dioxide and methylene chloride were
the main fluids until cfc and some of these continued in commercial
applications. I'm surprised that any company was manufacturing new machines
for home use using sulfur dioxide in the early 50's. Based on my readings,
most home appliance used freon at that time, having taken over from ammonia
refrigerators.

My father worked as a refrigerator repairman for Sears a while before I was
born. As near as I can remember from his stories, everything that he worked
on was ammonia. We even had an old refrigerator that he had converted from
ammonia to freon sometime around 1940. After a move, it sat without running
for many years but was used continuously from around 1975 to 1990.

You were lucky, sulfur dioxide (btw it is SO2) is nasty stuff.

This is Turtle.

The Refrigerator and freezers during the 1940's and 1950's had these Types of
refrigeriant in them.

R-12
R-22
ammonia
Alcohol Meth.
SO4

These were the experimenting years and all these types was used to see which was
best. G/E Corp. used all these gases in refrigerators and Freezers and yes SO4
type refrigerators went in the residentiual homes during that time.

TURTLE