Goedjn

On 13 Apr 2005 06:16:56 -0700, "Beantown"
wrote:

Hi there,

I am having a hell of a time finding someone to help jack up my beam
and re-support it. I have talked with (and had over for estimates) a
number of contractors, and NOT ONE of them will even pay deference to
the idea that the beam probably should not be jacked the full 1 1/2 to

What is the original problem? Is the beam bending sinking at
one end, or rotting? Have you gone and added extra weight
above it somehow? What's holding it up now?

If the beam isn't rotting, you don't need to replace it.
If the existing POSTS (or whatever holds the beam up)
are adequate, then you don't need new footings or
posts, you just crank the beam back to wherever you
want it, and bolt steel or wood to the sides of it.

Alternatively, if you're adding posts, you shouldn't
need to beef up the beam. If the beam in question
is in the basement, and the basement floor is in decent
shape, you could probably get buy with just a steel plate
to keep the post from punching through the floor, but
that depends on what you're holding up.

Normal people just shove a jack-post in place,
crank the sucker up and leave it there.

--Goedjn