JimL

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:21:30 -0400, Harry Everhart
wrote:

"Beeper" wrote:
I had fears of mold when I remodeled my basement. Although I've never had a
spot of water, I worried that some time in future anything can change and I
might end up with issues. My solution was to build my walls 3.5 inches out
from block on all walls that were buried. Lost a little space but the air is
moving behind the wall real nice.

How do you get air moving in that 3.5 inch cavity? How do you know it
is moving "nicely"?

If you provide a way for room air to enter the cavity at the bottom
and to exit the cavity at the top then simple physics will handle the
movement for you. If the basement is not otherwise conditioned, then
a 24 hr a day (ceiling) fan would give extra insurance at little
additional cost, but I might go for a cheap wall refrigerated unit if
I lived in So. Florida.

When the humidity stays above 75% for long periods of time - that is
when mold will grow. You can kill it with a solution of 75% water and
25% chlorine bleach. Then ventilate it or run a dehumidifier. We have a
summer home in PA. In the winter when the heat is running - the humidity
in the basement stays low. In the summer - we run a dehumidifier to keep
it fresh or open several window and run an exhaust fan.

In our Florida home - we must run the AC all summer when we are away. If
we do not the humidity goes up and mold will grow in the house. In the
winter - it is not a problem.

Although I have central air(3 1/2 ton), I added a 5600 btu
refrigerated wall unit (11 eer) that solves that problem and does so
very economically. It cut my summer electric bill in half and
we are so much more comfortable, too.