Tom

Boris Mohar wrote:

Hello,

I am learning how to TIG weld stainless steel and would like someone to
comment on these welds.

http://www.viatrack.ca/Exman/THEIRWELD_1.jpg

I found this piece on a scrap yard. The color is bit off. It is not
really rusty but more of a golden brownish. I do not know what kind of
stainless it is exactly but it is slightly magnetic. The weld is nice golden
metallic color. I would like to believe that this is how a good weld should
look. If someone has a link with pictures of ss welds I would like to see
them.

Now look at this crud that I managed to produce

http://www.viatrack.ca/Exman/MYWELD_1.jpg
http://www.viatrack.ca/Exman/MYWELD_2.jpg

The first one appears burn to crisp while second one might be passable.

I am using Lincoln 175 with 3/32" 308 rod

The tungsten electrode was 1/16 1.5% Lanthalated

What am I doing wrong and just how wrong is it?

All comments appreciated.

--

Boris Mohar

Apples & oranges..
The junk yard weld appears to be stick welded.