Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

A very brief overview which doesn't talk of the diversification beyond
the initial batteries, etc., into much more than radios, etc.

http://www.philcoradio.com/history.htm

Took a little longer, but here's a link to some promotional pictures of
the Philco 2000...similar to first machine I worked on out of school.
The particular one had 27(!) 7-track tape drives (this was before
even drum storage, what more disks...)

http://www.luminquest.com/HOC/PhilcoTransact.htm

I found in brief looking very little of the rest of Philco's product
lines in their heyday...

Philco was into all the major appliances. They also made radios for use in
Ford cars. IIRC, they were bought by Ford in the late 60's or early 70's.
The name is still being used. I've seen Philco TVs in K Mart and I've seen
Philco air conditioners made by Frigidaire in their Edison NJ plant (now
also closed)

I was looking for references to the more industrial products and other
non-consumer goods, specifically. They had a pretty broad range of
industrial control equipment, etc., as well as the consumer products
group.

I saw that reference to the Philco name/K-Mart thing in one of the links
I found--it's a licensed usage from Phillips by an off-shore,
apparently.

The purchase was '62 according to one of the sources...although my
recollection was that it was later than that as I'm fairly sure it
wasn't Ford at the time I went to work in '68 for the Philco 2000 (at
least it seemed like I was working for the machine, not the other way
'round more often than not! )...or at least, the 'puter support group
didn't have Ford name associated w/ them until roughly your time frame
as I recollect. Of course, that's beginning to be just a while ago and
my memories are undoubtedly not what they once were...