JK

Yes, I think I'm mixing and matching terms. This is the wire coming out of
the lights. They are 120 volt halogen lights. I think they are 18 gauge
wire.
"Andy Hill" wrote in message
news
"JK" wrote:
"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to JK :
Any issues with wiring lamp wire to 14/2 wire? I am going to wire some
undercabinet lights to a switch. I was going to use a transformer, but
the
HD guy said no need to. Just run the lamp wire from the lights into a
junction box, and connect it to the wire (14/2, since it will be going
through my attic) coming from the switch. Is that okay?

Lampcord MUST NEVER enter a J-box.

Put a receptacle on the junction box (or wire another receptacle
nearby),
and plug the lamp cord into it.
--

I'm curious why that is, and why the guy at HD told me it was okay.

We may be running into a translation problem here. When you say "lamp
wire"
are you talking about the flexible stuff that is used for garden-variety
extension cords and lamp cords or are you talking about some (I assume)
stranded
wire that is already a component of the undercabinet lights? Do you have
link to the lights that you're planning to install?