Default B&Q Kitchens

Neil Jones wrote:

pedant mode

you seem to be confusing inertia, mass and momentum here

Inertia and mass are basically the same in this context. Momentum is
a consequence of moving mass.

Inertia is a concept. Mass is a measureable property.

So?

Whatever I'm confusing a heavy door, even if perfectly
counterbalanced, will still bang against its endstops harder than a
light one will.

I'm not at all sure this is so - it depends as much (or more) on the
speed the door is moving at, as well as the mass involved.

Well yes, that's stating the obvious too. But if I push the door down
to the end stop at (approximately) the same speed which would seem to
be a reasonable assumption then the heavy door will bang the endstops
harder.

Also, presumably the manufacturers of the machine will specify a maximum
door weight the hinges are designed to support. A non-integrated
appliance will have a door with known weight and can use the lightest
(read cheapest) hinges which will do the job.

Maybe! In practice I suspect they're all the same (i.e. integrated
mechanics are similar to non-integrated) simply for cheapness sake.

Certainly our Baumatic integrated doesn't have any specification for
the weight of the door that I can find and I'm not at all convinced
that the hinges are up to the job with a wooden panel on it. I have
to say I'm not all that impressed with Baumatic in general (the
dishwasher anyway) so maybe other makes are better. However I still
fail to see how even brilliant design can get over the inherent
problem of having no external indicators at all to tell you what's
going on (or isn't).

--
Chris Green