Patriarch

Leuf wrote in
:

I thought I had an old baseball glove somewhere that could donate the
material to try it out, but it seems to have vanished.

The local Target or Wally World sells inexpensive golf gloves. Buy one for
the hand that gets the blisters, and trim the fingers near the knuckle. I
don't think you can spend more than $12, probably less.

The traditional finish for plane wood is some sort of varnish. However, a
simple linseed oil finish, with or without a topcoating of shellac, is very
skin friendly. Avoid plastic plane handles if at all possible.

There is a whole school of thought on plane wood amongst the cognesceti in
the archives of the hand tool forum of Woodcentral.com, should you ever go
searching for way more than you wanted to know of the matter.

Patriarch