Leuf

Default Padding for plane knobs?

With my new bench finally going operational I've kind of over done it
the last two days with the planes. My hands are now not looking or
feeling so good. Part of the problem is that these are old planes and
while I've put the knobs and totes that were in the best shape on the
ones I was using, the knobs especially are in rough shape. Completely
peppered with toolbox dings. Another part is that while I've
experimented with different grips on the knob I tend to favor having
my palm down on the top of it, and the head of the screw is doing a
number on me.

Will a new smooth replacement knob take care of it? I was thinking
that perhaps adding some padding under a leather cover on the knob
might be a good idea, but I see nothing about doing it in a google
search so either a) it won't be a problem with a new knob b) I have
soft girly hands and need to suck it up c) everyone has blisters but
won't admit it.

-Leuf