Wild Bill

If you're repairing the unit to put it to work for your own use, you could
probably fabricate a mount for a common 1725 RPM TEFC motor and use a
coupler to connect it to the input shaft.

Almost any good quality 1/2 to 1 HP motor should be adequate for a belt
sander, depending on how big the parts are that you want to grind/sand.
Don't be too easily impressed by HP, a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor delivers a lot of
power for a belt sander.

TEFC is highly recommended because the grinding dust will get into a
open-frame motor.

If you decide you need other speeds, a jack shaft can be added to almost any
application with some parts and additional base plate area.
Otherwise, you might also consider a variable speed DC drive.

WB

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

I acquired this incredible Engleberg 4" pedestal belt sander, but w/ shot
motor, shot driveshaft, on which I've posted elsewhere.

The replacement motor is proving to be a problem. Direct replacment is
possible, but expensive. (Cast iron finned, 1700 rpm, 143 frame).
Rewinding is expensive.

But I've been finding possible motors, but w/ 3450 rpm, 3 ph, 1 hp.

Would this motor on a VFD be a viable solution? As a direct drive unit, I
don't have the luxury of mixing pulley ratios, so would torque be a

problem,
at dialed-down speeds--actually, 50% speed?
Would the higher speeds be any advantage for some materials??

What are people paying for these sized VFDs?
TIA!
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll