Stephen M

Default Robert Sorbey Modular tool rest does not fit Jet 1442 all that well

I purchased a jet 1442 earlier this year. While turning some knobs I
discovered that the headstock casting kind of gets in the way if bringing
the 12" stock tool rest up really close. This geometery is only a problem
for narrow & short turning between centers.

So I decided to pick up short tool rest. I ordered the post and a 4" bar
from Lee Valley

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49238&ap=1

Upon installation, I found that the post is a bit too long. It contacts the
banjo's locking bar mechanism before the bar gets below the axis of the
lathe. A shorter post is not available.

Should I:

1. Send is back and buy an entirely different product? If so What is a
better choice?
2. load up a metal-cutting blade in the recipricating saw and lop it off
3. Other?

Thanks,

Steve