Jon Elson

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

I acquired this incredible Engleberg 4" pedestal belt sander, but w/ shot
motor, shot driveshaft, on which I've posted elsewhere.

The replacement motor is proving to be a problem. Direct replacment is
possible, but expensive. (Cast iron finned, 1700 rpm, 143 frame).
Rewinding is expensive.

But I've been finding possible motors, but w/ 3450 rpm, 3 ph, 1 hp.

Would this motor on a VFD be a viable solution? As a direct drive unit, I
don't have the luxury of mixing pulley ratios, so would torque be a problem,
at dialed-down speeds--actually, 50% speed?
Would the higher speeds be any advantage for some materials??

What are people paying for these sized VFDs?

If you need 1 HP at 1700 RPM, then get a 2 Hp 3450 RPM motor and a 2 or
3 HP VFD. (2 HP is fine if you have 3 phase power, 3 Hp is better if
you are going to run it on single phase.)

You can probably get the VFD for less than $150 on eBay or Dealers
Electric. Maybe a LOT less, it just depends on who is selling at the
moment.

Jon