WhyKnot

I'm reading what I can online today. Finding lots of manufacturer sponsored
sites, so getting a slanted view and not any clearer thoughts. I tried
doing this online reading a few weeks ago and found it just as confusing.
Went ahead with the quotes hoping I'd learn more from the contractors as I
went along (which I did...I learned it was just as confusing as what I saw
online).

Some of the reading I'm doing is saying a variable speed furnace will help
the AC work more efficiently and hence, I won't need as high a SEER rating?
Am I interpreting that right? But I'm also interpreting that I have to have
the proper ductwork for a variable speed to work correctly, so I might be
better off with a standard furnace like we have now.

We are on a very limited budget. I'd love to get the higher efficiency
options, but we can't afford the options, so we have to stay with the lower
cost options I'm looking at now and go with what we can do at this time.
Can't afford to get new ductwork and so far, not one of the five estimates
have mentioned that to us (beyond putting the cold air returns high on the
walls on the second floor). We HAVE to get the AC (for those health
issues). This job has to be done soon and I have to decide on who does it
in the next couple days, by the end of this coming week at the latest. Not
optimal, I know, but this is how it is. People on the ng can say what they
will about this, but this is the way it is. Anything we have installed has
to be better than what we're living with now, so that's one way to look at
it...unless it ends up breaking down and being a repair nightmare. And
that's the chance I have to take regardless of how much researching I do or
don't do.

No one except one guy, has mentioned the UV light thing, I suspect because
of our budget constraints. The one quote that did include it was over
$7800. WAY out of our price range. Again, can only do what I have the
money to do and trying to get the best I can with what money I have. I
haven't pushed the UV, having read about it, knowing we can't afford any
frills. So I haven't even asked for this option. I'm telling the
contractors before they even come here, so as to not waste their time if
they sense I'm asking for something they don't want to do, that we're on a
tight budget. Not sure why the guy with the Lexus even bothered coming to
give us the $7800 plus quote.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Tell a few contractors to give you a load calculation in writing. or
everything may be oversized, over size AC and you won`t remove much
humidity,you say humidity removal is important. I would not install an
80% or 10 or 12 seer in your area, but a 93+ and 14 seer or more. VS DC
run with a hunidistat-thermostat will remove the most moisture. A VS DC
can remove twice the hunidity as non VS DC but get a 10 yr warranty. You
have to research this as there are more option offered than ever before.
If you have the $ research, you have not been shown the high efficiency
equipment, or air filters and other options offered. Since there is a
health issue here what you pick may make a big difference. You say you
don`t have the time to research, but done wrong or not finding all
options you could of had and you just will have to live with it.