KLS

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:35:32 GMT, "WhyKnot"
wrote:

We live near Rochester NY. We have long, snowy winters and the
average humidity all year long is usually above 50-60%.
Average low temps in Jan is in the mid teens and the heat goes on sometime
in October and stays on through April. Average high temps in July-Aug is in
the high 70's to low
80's. Average morning humidity in the summer is around 88%. Our family is
not very tolerant of the heat in summer because of a special medical
condition. I anticipate the AC will get a workout.

OK, I also live in Rochester, NY, and 2 years ago I put in a York
Diamond 95 2-stage gas furnace with a Honeywell humidifier and a split
system air conditioner in my 1930 house. We didn't put in the
variable speed fan for reasons I stated in a different post, but if
you can get the 10-year warranty mentioned by another poster, that
might be worth investigating. We've been very pleased with the
system, installed by Betlem Residential (Van Hee installs the same
system for the same price, and we went with Betlem for the free
9-month financing only because we had just bought the house and were
cash poor at the time).

I wanted York because it's still a U.S.-made product and can be
serviced by various companies around town. I didn't want Rheem
because I'd heard from too many people of problems with their systems.
I also didn't want Trane or Carrier or Lennox because of price and
over-complexity. Don't mess with any Amana dealers because that brand
is proprietary, another reason I didn't buy it.

I also disliked Isaac Heating and Cooling because of their dubious
advertising methods. So, I suggest you talk to Betlem Residential,
Van Hee, and John Betlem (the two Betlems had a falling out, and both
companies are good).

Don't waste your $$ on duct cleaning. If you can sweep out stuff
yourself, fine, but really, don't pay anyone for that.

Just my experience and $.02. Hope it helps.