RichardS

Default Advice on cordless drill/drivers

"P.R.Brady" wrote in message
Wainscotting wrote:
Want to buy a simple cordless drill/driver but would like information on
voltags vs price.Have seen (for instance) a Bosch PSR 1440 (14.4v) one

that
is around £50 but also there is a Bosch PSR 12ve (12 v) that is around

£70.
Is there any relationship between voltage and price at all? The Dewalt

range
is quite pricey so what do you get for your money with the? Thanks.

The odd thing about these devices is that voltage is not what should be
important
- wattage should be, just as with mains driven ones.

snip

think there's a bit more to it than that.

What you're after in a drill/driver is torque, and that appears to be a
function of the quality of the efficiency of the motor windings, gearing,
etc.

For instance, I have an old-ish (c 2001) Atlas Copco product flyer here -
their standard PES 12T drill (12v, 2Ah, NiCd, no hammer) gives max torque of
25Nm. The LocTor S variant of this drill uses the same battery but claims a
maximum torque of 50Nm!!

I had a 12v B&D drill/driver and after 2 1/2 years the battery was
knackered. It had a crude charger and took 3 hours to charge.

Replaced it with a 9.6v A-C drill a couple of years ago and that is now
still going as strong as the day I bought it, and this has had far, far
heavier use than the B&D ever had. Torque far exceeds the B&D one.

I'm sure that PPro are now much better than the DIY B&D that I had, but
after using this A-C drill I wouldn't go back to using "occasional use"
tools.

YMMV.

--
Richard Sampson