DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
cmorettz wrote:
Hi all.... I really want to thank you for the well thought out

The owner told me twice that it was a logan.
I went to see it today , it is a South Bend...go figure.
Model B5 , Cat # 677R bed length 4.5
s/n 178456 B101 mark on bed . $1200

That could explain the price. South Bend is better known as a
desirable hobbist lathe (in the US), so the prices on those tend to be
high.

It does have a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, some dogs, all the gears, and new
paint,
but I think for that money I can do a lot better.
for instance there is a 13" X 30 Southbend on ebay now for $750
currently,
only problem its in Nashville.

Of course, you don't know what it will be when it closes -- and
SouthBend machines tend tos start a "feeding frenzy" more than other
(and often better) machines.

Another is close in KC area is an elgin collet lathe with about 30
collets
the owner knows almost nothing about it . He thinks there is no power
feed
and I cant see from the pictures. auction # 7508201038. no bids at $50
with $400 BIN. cheap, close, but useful?

It depends. I would not consider it a good choice for a *first*
lathe, as it has *no* longitudinal feed -- other than a second hand
crank on the cross feed. The whole assembly is held by a hand nut run
up from below the bed, and you lose any settings when you shift it. It
is a "second-op" lathe, I think (that is -- it is used to perform second
operations on a part which was started in another machine) -- and is
sort of like an oversized jeweler's lathe. You can't single-point cut
threads with it. If you could get a bed turret for it, you could use a
Geometric die head (or something similar) for cutting common threads,
but not for unusual ones.

I forgot to state in my original post that Im in the Wichita, Ks area.
If any one knows of a good machine in the $1000 range , 220v max,
within say 500 miles of wichita please let me know.

A bit out of my reach (Northern VA -- too close to Washington
DC), so I'll just wish you luck.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564