Jim Stewart

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Awl--

I acquired this incredible Engleberg 4" pedestal belt sander, but w/ shot
motor, shot driveshaft, on which I've posted elsewhere.

The replacement motor is proving to be a problem. Direct replacment is
possible, but expensive. (Cast iron finned, 1700 rpm, 143 frame).
Rewinding is expensive.

But I've been finding possible motors, but w/ 3450 rpm, 3 ph, 1 hp.

Would this motor on a VFD be a viable solution? As a direct drive unit,
I don't have the luxury of mixing pulley ratios, so would torque be a
problem, at dialed-down speeds--actually, 50% speed?
Would the higher speeds be any advantage for some materials??

What are people paying for these sized VFDs?

I have a pair of Hitachi 1hp VFD's on my lathe
and mill. They were NOS and were about $100/ea
They work fine.

What is "NOS"? Where'd you get'em from?

New/old stock. Old stock that has never been used.

Same seller I've done business with,
no problems.

That said, a VFD would probably work. I have
no problem with torque at 50% speed.

OTOH, I'd be scared ****less that some sort
of malfunction or missuse would give the motor
100% speeed, or worse - 150% or 200% speed and
detonate the wheel...