Andy Hall

Default Advice on cordless drill/drivers

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:13:10 +0100, "Alan James"
wrote:

My advice is first go for a two battery pack with a 1hr timed charger. No
need to pay more than £50 these days for a perfectly adequate deal unless
you have money to burn.

It's more the time that is burned replacing inadequate or broken
items, I've found. If you have to spend half a day resolving a
problem with one of these things, the effective cost is way more than
the saving, so I don't see the point.

I find my B&Q Performance Power Pro 12V fine for
general use. Its relatively light and well balanced and has good low speed
control, however the batteries are 3hr charge and eventually got cooked.
The hammer action is a waste of time.

But apart from all of that, a good deal.......

A 12v Makita with 2 batteries and 1 hour charger can be obtained for
about £110 and a 14.4v one for not much more...

Funnily enough I passed a tradesman
yesterday putting up a shop facia sign with the very same drill. He was on
hammer action through wood into masory. He's probably still there. I guess
his Makita/De Walt/Metabo got nicked. Never had a Bosch cordless but tried
one once. Its low speed control was terrible so I returned it. My other
Bosch tools have been fine.

Alan

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl