John/Charleston

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:24:56 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"John Kerkes" wrote in message
. com...
I have a shed that has an oil based stain on it and would like to paint

it.
My question is to paint it do i have to use an oil based paint or can i

use
latex?

I'm not a pro painter but IMO you should use a bonding primer (latex or oil)
and topcoat as you wish. I would suggest two finish coats for durability.

Colbyt

There are questions to be answered.... How long ago was it painted
with the oil stain?
What is the surface? Is it rough sawn T-111 or smooth lap siding?

If the oil has been on for a long time, you should be able to just
pressure wash it down and paint latex right over it. If the surface
is roughsawn T-111 then I doubt you'll need any primer. Smooth faced
wood might need a primer, check with the manufacturer. There's
probably a 1-800# on the can.
Either way I would use a solid body stain instead of paint if you
don't mind a flat finish.

jmo,
John