johnny

"Ikon" wrote
Trying to figure out if it is installer's fault, or laminate's, or the
underlament is too soft.

I bought Harmonics Select Maple laminate at Costco, and a contractor
just started installing it. Unfortunately, it is easy to feel (and even
see) that there are 0.1 - 0.2mm differences in height at seams, and
that's where chipping off starts.

Did anybody have similar experience ? I am using "Quiet step"
underlayment (felt), which is a bit thicker than what Harmonics
suggests.

The work just started, so I am trying to figure out ASAP whose fault it
is. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

One thing about off brands, they are DPL laminated compared to HPL brands
bought through an actual flooring store. The DPL stands for Direct Pressure
Laminate which is manufactured at 300-500 PSI. The HPL stands for High
Pressure Laminate which is manufactured at 1400 + PSI. The major
manufacturers sell DPL stock through HD & Lowes but will not sell them HPL
which is sold through flooring suppliers.

About four years ago, I got to spend 3 days training at the Pergo plant in
Raleigh NC. I got to see both processes, there is a difference in the
manufacturing of the stock. Just a side note, Pergo North America in
Raleigh manufacturers all the stock for North America, Canada, & Mexico.
Total employees including office, manufacturing, shipping/receiving =======
15. Talk about robotics, it was fascinating. I believe at that time, it was
45 semi trailers a day being shipped. I think Raleigh officials believed
all sorts of jobs were going to be created when they gave abatements for the
plant.

Here's an interesting post on a board about the Harmonics brand.

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com...b1b3e 12efd3f