fred

In article , Richard Faulkner
writes
I have a security issue with a ground floor flat and my builder has
suggested new laminated double glazed glass for the patio door and
adjacent windows - he tells me that the frames and brickwork will give
way before the glass.

If it's a large pane (half door panel & up) then he is being a tad over
optimistic. There is a failure mode (which I won't describe) which makes
standard (6.4mm) laminate less than perfect. If you are getting super thick
stuff or a multi-layered sandwich then things get better. The risks can be
reduced if you install the panes with security glazing tape which is 2mm or
so dense foam strip with a high strength adhesive both sides.

I'll be from my comp for a while so won't be able to respond to any replies
but I discussed this with Andy Hall in an old thread when he was doing
something similar, google, or he may step in to say how he got on.

HTH
--
fred