Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
roy davidson wrote:
Over the years I have tried to solder various wire ropes, never been
anything near successful. I have tried emery cloth to clean the end,
greasy flux stuff and different temperatures. I have always found
another method to solve the problem at hand. I just want to know how to
do it before once again I'm looking at blobs of solder refusing to bond
with the cable.

You need a flux designed for steel. Something like Baker's soldering fluid.
Fluxite - or similar paste type fluxes - are really meant for things like
copper or brass.

But I'd make sure the wire rope is clean first - it's possible it might
have some form of wax applied to prevent corrosion. Cellulose thinners
remove most of this sort of thing.

I've found an aggressive flux - like Everflux - also works well on steel.
I recently made up a throttle cable for the old car with no problems.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.