Peter Parry

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:59:19 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

I'm thinking of using Makrolon / Lexan (don't know the difference but
suspect Makrolon is a trade name).
Would this be suitable, or can anyone suggest a better alternative?
Thickness would be 10-13mm.

Wow.

Must be clear,

It would be that, initially.

*reasonably* unbreakable,

It would be easier to get through the wall than 13mm of Polycarbonate
(Both Makrolon and Lexan are trade names). The door and frame and
surrounding brickwork would give way first. In fact most of the
house would be gone before the Polycarbonate.

and hopefully scratchproof.

Not a hope, neither are at all scratch proof and will mark quite
quickly. Both have abrasion resistant versions but they won't stay
glass clear for long. Makrolon Hygard is a
polycarbonate/polyurethane laminate with a hard coating and may stay
clearer longer. 13mm of it might be mildly expensive but would have
the advantage that it will stop most handgun bullets if needed!

I would intend to fix it by bedding into silicone and c'sunk machine screws
at 100mm centres.

Polycarbonate expands quite a lot when heated. You would need to
allow for expansion to avoid distorting the door.

Any ideas or alternatives please?

Laminated glass?

--
Peter Parry.