Rex B

cmorettz wrote:
I have found a couple of lathes for sale locally, and would
like to hear your opinions and/or recomendations.

I am looking for a small lathe to do various things icluding
gunsmithing. I have a very small shop(ok its a storage shed)
so a small footprint is a must. I have 110v power available
and 220v might be possible, Ill have to ask my elect.
I have found so far:

Atlas/Craftsman 6 X 36 in great condition with 3 & 4 jaw chuck
4 hours away $500

The working size of that is 6x18. The overall length is about 36".
Those are nice little lathes, with emphasis on "little".
Threading is by change gears, no QC available.
Note there is a Mk1 and a Mk2 model. The Mk2 has a very square head.
All the gears, pulleys, and small castings on either are Zamac, i.e. pot
metal. This is a lathe sold by Sears.
A good Mk1 will bring ~$450, a Mk2 ~$650 on ebay

Logan 9"? X ? (he thinks it 36-40 inches) 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick
change
tool holder,owner thinks it has 3/4 horse motor, and was sure it
has V shaped ways. He thinks 3 or 4 guys could load it. 110v $1200
I am hoping it is actually a 10 inch but plan to be disappointed
when I go look at it. Sorry for the lack of info, I will post
more details after I go look at the logan.

I did a google search and found a page about logan lathes that seemed
to know what they were about, but you never know.
on that page the 9" logan is 28 inch max between ctrs. and the
10" model seems to be a much better machine.

I have a 9x17 Logan, with QC box. I used an engine hoist to unload it.
Everything is either cast iron or steel.
A very nice machine, and much more than any Atlas or Craftsman metal lathe.

if the machine is actually a 10" logan lathe, is it worth $1200?

Only if it's pristine and well tooled. At that price it should LOOK like
it's been well-cared for, and I don't mean "nice paint". it should also
come with everything you need, 3-jaw, 4-jaw, faceplate, drive dogs,
centers, steady rest, follow rest.

would it be worth twice what an atlas costs?

If you were comparing 10" to 10", no.
But a 9" Logan is in a different league than a 6" Atlas.
I have seen the 9" lathes go for more money than the 10" on a number of
occasions. I think the smaller lathes are rarely in a production
environment, but rather are cared for by an individual hobbyist who
paid a goodly price for a precision machine. I see nice 10" and
larger Logans go in the $800 range. I would not part with mine for
$1000, but I'd be tempted at $1200.

If it is a 9 inch logan how does it compare to the Atlas
capability wise?

I just sold a 10x36 Atlas, because the Logan was better made by far, and
I have yet to run into anything that required the extra size.

I believe the Atlas units are fairly light and could be shipped
cross country. they are going on ebay for $300 and up depending
on condition, plus shipping.

I shipped a MK2 from TX to CO, in 3 boxes, for $35 via UPS.

The Atlas will get you started and help you learn what you really want,
but you will likely upgrade once you get up to speed. The Logan could
suit your needs indefinitely. Also, Scott Logan maintains parts and
support for the products his Granddad built.
I'd try to negotiate the price on the Logan. But if it's local and
like-new, and you can afford it....
--
- -
Rex Burkheimer