cmorettz

Default Logan or Atlas for first lathe purchase?

I have found a couple of lathes for sale locally, and would
like to hear your opinions and/or recomendations.

I am looking for a small lathe to do various things icluding
gunsmithing. I have a very small shop(ok its a storage shed)
so a small footprint is a must. I have 110v power available
and 220v might be possible, Ill have to ask my elect.
I have found so far:

Atlas/Craftsman 6 X 36 in great condition with 3 & 4 jaw chuck
4 hours away $500

Logan 9"? X ? (he thinks it 36-40 inches) 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick
change
tool holder,owner thinks it has 3/4 horse motor, and was sure it
has V shaped ways. He thinks 3 or 4 guys could load it. 110v $1200
I am hoping it is actually a 10 inch but plan to be disappointed
when I go look at it. Sorry for the lack of info, I will post
more details after I go look at the logan.

I did a google search and found a page about logan lathes that seemed
to know what they were about, but you never know.
on that page the 9" logan is 28 inch max between ctrs. and the
10" model seems to be a much better machine.

I havent seen either machine, but my thinking is going like this so
far.

if the machine is actually a 10" logan lathe, is it worth $1200?
would it be worth twice what an atlas costs?
I have to consider mileage on such a heavy machine (400+ lbs).
the logan is relatively close.
BTW, when I say "worth" I guess I mean is machine "A" $xxx amount
more capable than machine "B"? (worth more)

If it is a 9 inch logan how does it compare to the Atlas
capability wise?

I believe the Atlas units are fairly light and could be shipped
cross country. they are going on ebay for $300 and up depending
on condition, plus shipping.

Sorry for the long post and scattered thoughts, It is past my
bedtime.
Thanks for your time
pc