zxcvbob

aeneas1 wrote:

"If you can't find 6-50 equipment for a
lot less than that, you haven't been looking very hard. You can buy a
6-foot cord with a 6-50 plug already molded on it for less than nine
bucks at Home Depot"

"range replacement cords" or "appliance replacement cords" are
[b:d0c61c15f8]much[/b:d0c61c15f8] cheaper than purchasing a separate
plug, cord, etc... i had no idea that such "replacement cords"
existed and therefore assumed that i would have to purchase the plug,
cord, etc. separately - that is why i posted that they were so
expensive.

[b:d0c61c15f8][i:d0c61c15f8]"The 6-50 and the 10-50 are both
three-conductor devices..."[/b:d0c61c15f8][/i:d0c61c15f8]

and, given this, can they i use either one assuming that the
manufacturer of my equipment recommends a 6-50? in other words, can i
use the third blade (pole) on the 10-50 as the ground? i ask because
the the 10-50 replacement cord is cheaper than the 6-50 and the 10-50
receptacle is considerably cheaper than 6-50 receptacle.

[b:d0c61c15f8][i:d0c61c15f8]"Electric kiln, welder, large electric
cooktop, or 7.5 HP electric motor?"[/b:d0c61c15f8][/i:d0c61c15f8]

commercial deep fryer...

Do you really need a cord-and-plug, or can you hardwire it?

There should be no problem unless the electrical inspector hates it.
("what if someone removes the deep fryer and replaces it with a 3-wire
clothes dryer?") The outlet is rated for 50A, and it's a dedicated circuit.

along the same lines, i have one more question that i would appreciate
your comments on:

along with installing the deep fryer (which will run 10 hours per
day), i will also be installing two other electrical appliances:

a flashbake oven rated as single phase, 240v, 42amp which came with a
6-50 plug and a panini grill rated as single phase, 230v 30amp which
came with a 6-30 plug.

since i will never use these two appliances at the same time, i was
hoping to install just one outlet which they would share. my plan was
to install a dedicated line with a 6-50 receptacle (50 amp circuit)
and change the 6-30 plug on the panini grill to a 6-50 plug. is it
safe to run a 30amp appliance off of a 50 amp dedicated circuit? my
electrician seems to think that i could easily damage my 30 amp
appliance if i do this.

I might not leave a 30A appliance running unattended for hours on a 50A
circuit (if the appliance malfunctions and overheats I want the breaker
to trip, or I want to be there watching it to turn it off) but other
than that it will not hurt the grill to plug it into a 50A circuit.

Those big recepticles might not be made to plug and unplug them all the
time; the springy terminals might weaken and then overheat when you use
the higher wattage oven. This sounds like expensive equipment, and you
are trying to hard to save $10 by cutting corners on the installation.

My code book is out in the truck so I can't look up the special rules
for 50A and 60A circuits, but how about running a 60A branch circuit to
both appliances, and install a 30A fused switch for the grill?

Bob