aeneas1

Default NEMA 6-50 Or NEMA 10-50 Plug?

i purchased an electrical appliance that has electrical specs as
follows:

single phase
240 volt
11,500 watts
(47.9amps)

it requires that the user install the power cord, i.e., it did not
come with a power cord. i will be purchasing #6 AWG for the supply
connection but am not sure which plug to buy - a NEMA 6-50 (250v 2
pole 3 wire) or a NEMA 10-50 (125v/250v 3 pole 3 wire). both are
rated for for 250 volts and 50 amps.

the big difference is price. the 6-50 plug costs (on average) about
$50 with the receptacle costing close to the same. the 10-50 plug can
be purchased for about $15 with the receptacle costing even less.

can i use the 10-50 plug and receptacle?

AlanBown

"aeneas1" wrote in message
news:4d9e5$425508f8$455da0d2$8361@allthenewsgroups .com...
i purchased an electrical appliance that has electrical specs as
follows:

single phase
240 volt
11,500 watts
(47.9amps)

it requires that the user install the power cord, i.e., it did not
come with a power cord. i will be purchasing #6 AWG for the supply
connection but am not sure which plug to buy - a NEMA 6-50 (250v 2
pole 3 wire) or a NEMA 10-50 (125v/250v 3 pole 3 wire). both are
rated for for 250 volts and 50 amps.

the big difference is price. the 6-50 plug costs (on average) about
$50 with the receptacle costing close to the same. the 10-50 plug can
be purchased for about $15 with the receptacle costing even less.

can i use the 10-50 plug and receptacle?

If your appliance has a neutral then you need the 4 wire plug and cord. If
neutral is required, then you may need to upgrade the cable feeding the
appliance.

Doug Miller

In article , "AlanBown" wrote:

can i use the 10-50 plug and receptacle?

If your appliance has a neutral then you need the 4 wire plug and cord. If
neutral is required, then you may need to upgrade the cable feeding the
appliance.

The 6-50 and the 10-50 are both three-conductor devices...

--
Regards,

zxcvbob

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , lid (aeneas1) wrote:

i purchased an electrical appliance that has electrical specs as
follows:

single phase
240 volt
11,500 watts
(47.9amps)

Wow. What is it?

it requires that the user install the power cord, i.e., it did not
come with a power cord. i will be purchasing #6 AWG for the supply
connection but am not sure which plug to buy - a NEMA 6-50 (250v 2
pole 3 wire) or a NEMA 10-50 (125v/250v 3 pole 3 wire). both are
rated for for 250 volts and 50 amps.

The 6-50 is a grounding receptacle, and the 10-50 is not. So I suspect the
6-50 is the better choice. What does the manufacturer recommend?

the big difference is price. the 6-50 plug costs (on average) about
$50 with the receptacle costing close to the same. the 10-50 plug can
be purchased for about $15 with the receptacle costing even less.

If you can't find 6-50 equipment for a lot less than that, you haven't been
looking very hard. You can buy a 6-foot cord with a 6-50 plug already molded
on it for less than nine bucks at Home Depot:
www.homedepot.com then search for item number 301471

That's not a 6-50P. NEMA 6-50 has parallel blades, similar to an
overgrown 15A 120V device. I think the one you referenced is a 10-50P cord.

If "Aeneas1" has a Mill's Fleet Farm nearby, look in both the electrical
supplies and by the welding supplies. I don't remember which, but one
of them has both NEMA 6 and 10 plugs and recepticals for less than $10.
(They are available in both areas of the store, but one is packaged
different and a lot cheaper -- so check both places.)

Electric kiln, welder, large electric cooktop, or 7.5 HP electric motor?

Best regards,
Bob

HorneTD

aeneas1 wrote:
i purchased an electrical appliance that has electrical specs as
follows:

single phase
240 volt
11,500 watts
(47.9amps)

it requires that the user install the power cord, i.e., it did not
come with a power cord. i will be purchasing #6 AWG for the supply
connection but am not sure which plug to buy - a NEMA 6-50 (250v 2
pole 3 wire) or a NEMA 10-50 (125v/250v 3 pole 3 wire). both are
rated for for 250 volts and 50 amps.

the big difference is price. the 6-50 plug costs (on average) about
$50 with the receptacle costing close to the same. the 10-50 plug can
be purchased for about $15 with the receptacle costing even less.

can i use the 10-50 plug and receptacle?

The NEMA pattern that you want is numbered 14-50. That is a three pole
four wire pattern specifically meant for 120/240 volt grounded
appliances. These are used on four conductor circuits. For a new dryer
circuit it is the only code compliant pattern to use.
--
Tom H
zxcvbob

HorneTD wrote:

aeneas1 wrote:

[...]

He never said it was a dryer. At 50A, it would not be a dryer, but
might be a range. My guess is an electric kiln. If he hadn't called it
an "appliance" I would have guessed a welder.

Bob
toller

What is it for? That kinda affect the answer...

Doug Miller

In article , zxcvbob wrote:

That's not a 6-50P. NEMA 6-50 has parallel blades, similar to an
overgrown 15A 120V device. I think the one you referenced is a 10-50P cord.

Well, that's what comes up when you search Home Depot's site for 6-50. It's
kinda hard to tell from the photo which it is, though.

--
Regards,

aeneas1

"If you can't find 6-50 equipment for a
lot less than that, you haven't been looking very hard. You can buy a
6-foot cord with a 6-50 plug already molded on it for less than nine
bucks at Home Depot"

"range replacement cords" or "appliance replacement cords" are
[b:d0c61c15f8]much[/b:d0c61c15f8] cheaper than purchasing a separate
plug, cord, etc... i had no idea that such "replacement cords"
existed and therefore assumed that i would have to purchase the plug,
cord, etc. separately - that is why i posted that they were so
expensive.

[b:d0c61c15f8][i:d0c61c15f8]"The 6-50 and the 10-50 are both
three-conductor devices..."[/b:d0c61c15f8][/i:d0c61c15f8]

and, given this, can they i use either one assuming that the
manufacturer of my equipment recommends a 6-50? in other words, can i
use the third blade (pole) on the 10-50 as the ground? i ask because
the the 10-50 replacement cord is cheaper than the 6-50 and the 10-50
receptacle is considerably cheaper than 6-50 receptacle.

[b:d0c61c15f8][i:d0c61c15f8]"Electric kiln, welder, large electric
cooktop, or 7.5 HP electric motor?"[/b:d0c61c15f8][/i:d0c61c15f8]

commercial deep fryer...

along the same lines, i have one more question that i would appreciate
your comments on:

along with installing the deep fryer (which will run 10 hours per
day), i will also be installing two other electrical appliances:

a flashbake oven rated as single phase, 240v, 42amp which came with a
6-50 plug and a panini grill rated as single phase, 230v 30amp which
came with a 6-30 plug.

since i will never use these two appliances at the same time, i was
hoping to install just one outlet which they would share. my plan was
to install a dedicated line with a 6-50 receptacle (50 amp circuit)
and change the 6-30 plug on the panini grill to a 6-50 plug. is it
safe to run a 30amp appliance off of a 50 amp dedicated circuit? my
electrician seems to think that i could easily damage my 30 amp
appliance if i do this.

thanks very much for your great responses,

robert

zxcvbob

aeneas1 wrote:

[...]

Do you really need a cord-and-plug, or can you hardwire it?

There should be no problem unless the electrical inspector hates it.
("what if someone removes the deep fryer and replaces it with a 3-wire
clothes dryer?") The outlet is rated for 50A, and it's a dedicated circuit.

along the same lines, i have one more question that i would appreciate
your comments on:

along with installing the deep fryer (which will run 10 hours per
day), i will also be installing two other electrical appliances:

a flashbake oven rated as single phase, 240v, 42amp which came with a
6-50 plug and a panini grill rated as single phase, 230v 30amp which
came with a 6-30 plug.

since i will never use these two appliances at the same time, i was
hoping to install just one outlet which they would share. my plan was
to install a dedicated line with a 6-50 receptacle (50 amp circuit)
and change the 6-30 plug on the panini grill to a 6-50 plug. is it
safe to run a 30amp appliance off of a 50 amp dedicated circuit? my
electrician seems to think that i could easily damage my 30 amp
appliance if i do this.

I might not leave a 30A appliance running unattended for hours on a 50A
circuit (if the appliance malfunctions and overheats I want the breaker
to trip, or I want to be there watching it to turn it off) but other
than that it will not hurt the grill to plug it into a 50A circuit.

Those big recepticles might not be made to plug and unplug them all the
time; the springy terminals might weaken and then overheat when you use
the higher wattage oven. This sounds like expensive equipment, and you
are trying to hard to save $10 by cutting corners on the installation.

My code book is out in the truck so I can't look up the special rules
for 50A and 60A circuits, but how about running a 60A branch circuit to
both appliances, and install a 30A fused switch for the grill?

Bob