Tennessee Tony

Default Antique Wooden Ice Bucket

I have an antique ice crusher that attaches to a wooden barrel like
bucket. It's like a miniture wine or whiskey barrel cut in half, the
problem is that when it dries out, it falls apart.

In my one attempt at a fix, I let it soak for over a week, long after
the wood was swelled and it was holding itself together with the steel
bands around the outside very tight. I let it dry for a day then sealed
the inside with parafin and becasue of all the moisture in the wood, I
used a water based polyurethane for the outside. (3 or 4 coats)

It still dried out and fell apart. Any ideas? Should I let it dry and
glue it? I'd actually like to use it if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Tony