Rex B

Karl Townsend wrote:

I am looking for a good used 36"ish lathe & small mill suitable for a
basement shop & preferably with some tooling & at a reasonable price.
Does anyone know where I might look in Toronto, Ontario or within a
few hours drive?

Logan, Southbend, and Atlas all made lathes about 36" long with swings of
about 9". Nice machines and small enough to cart down the stairs. As to
small mills, stuff that's smaller than a Bridgeport and not total crap is
hard to come by. (My personal opinion of the Asian mill/drill) Several
fellows on this NG have reported disassembling a Bridgeport and skidding it
down the basement steps. Don't know about back upVBG

I would also considering adding the 11x36 or 10x36 Rockwell to this
list. Decent machines, cabinet mount, variable speed. You can sometimes
buy them worth the money, but parts are scarce and expensive.

As to where to look, everywhere you can think of: newspaper want ads and
"shoppers", Auction bills, estate sales, used machinery jockeys (Surely some
in Toronto and Detroit), Ebay, ask everyone you know to look out for you,
etc. Persistence will pay off.

Check the online classifeds of all the newspapers within driving
distance. Make an icon for each, check them daily and search on "lathe
mill".

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer