"longshot" wrote in message
news:R4b5e.7451$df3.1832@attbi_s21...

Normally there's only one "switch" that controls both elements and has
overtemp on it. I'd replace that before I replaced the heater, assuming

the
heater is otherwise in good shape.

there's nothing else that can go wrong is there? how much do you think the
switch costs? a new WH is only little over $200.00. I was wondering if the
lower element was fried, if that would cause a break in the current & not
heat the water, I haven't drained it all the way to check it.

Switch it anywhere between $6 and $20 depending on where you buy it...

Not being an ass, but instead of changing parts, why not find out what is
wrong with it...