longshot

Default electric water heater- update

I changed out the upper heating element & it is still not heating up, I
think maybe the switch got fried when it leaked.. it soaked the insulation
between the tank & jacket. is it time to just replace the whole thing?

Rob

Scott McDaniel

Normally there's only one "switch" that controls both elements and has
overtemp on it. I'd replace that before I replaced the heater, assuming the
heater is otherwise in good shape.

"longshot" wrote in message
I changed out the upper heating element & it is still not heating up, I
think maybe the switch got fried when it leaked.. it soaked the insulation
between the tank & jacket. is it time to just replace the whole thing?

Rob

longshot

Normally there's only one "switch" that controls both elements and has
overtemp on it. I'd replace that before I replaced the heater, assuming

the
heater is otherwise in good shape.

there's nothing else that can go wrong is there? how much do you think the
switch costs? a new WH is only little over $200.00. I was wondering if the
lower element was fried, if that would cause a break in the current & not
heat the water, I haven't drained it all the way to check it.

"longshot" wrote in message

Normally there's only one "switch" that controls both elements and has
overtemp on it. I'd replace that before I replaced the heater, assuming

the
heater is otherwise in good shape.

there's nothing else that can go wrong is there? how much do you think the
switch costs? a new WH is only little over $200.00. I was wondering if the
lower element was fried, if that would cause a break in the current & not
heat the water, I haven't drained it all the way to check it.

Switch it anywhere between $6 and $20 depending on where you buy it...

Not being an ass, but instead of changing parts, why not find out what is
wrong with it...

longshot

Switch it anywhere between $6 and $20 depending on where you buy it...

Not being an ass, but instead of changing parts, why not find out what is
wrong with it...

yes, i would like to. it blew a leak, I changed the fried element, still no
hot water. what's wrong with it?

Olaf

"longshot" wrote in message

Switch it anywhere between $6 and $20 depending on where you buy it...

Not being an ass, but instead of changing parts, why not find out what

is
wrong with it...

yes, i would like to. it blew a leak, I changed the fried element, still

no
hot water. what's wrong with it?

The elements are not arranged in series, electrically. One element going bad
will not stop the other one from functioning. When the thermostat detects
cooler water on the bottom of the tank, it turns on the bottom element. When
the thermostat detects cooler water at the top of the tank, it switches the
bottom element off and turns on the top element until the top of the tank is
hot again. Then it turns the top element off and the bottom element back on
until the water throughout the tank is heated.

Since you have replaced the top element and you are still getting no hot
water, then it is very likely not the elements that are the problem. Even if
somehow both elements blew at the same time (causing your initial 'no hot
water' problem) you'd still be getting a small amount of hot water now that
the top element has been replaced.

Your problem lies elsewhere.... in something that controls both elements.

"longshot" wrote in message

Switch it anywhere between $6 and $20 depending on where you buy it...

Not being an ass, but instead of changing parts, why not find out what

is
wrong with it...

yes, i would like to. it blew a leak, I changed the fried element, still

no
hot water. what's wrong with it?

Well
Since no one but you can see it, and you want it fixed, not to keep throwing
money at it...

First...is the BREAKER ON?
If it is, DO YOU HAVE POWER at the terminal block on the hot water heater?
If you DO, do you have power going to either element ?
If not, has your red reset button tripped?
If so...press it and see if it resets and if so, if you have power going to
one of the two elements.
If you do, and I dont mean 110VAC, but 220VAC then if you dont get hot water
in a few minutes, turn the power off and check the elements.
One element being burned out will not prevent the tank from heating the
water normally...but a bad reset will provided that everything else is
normal.

No offense...but if you cant diagnose it, call someone that can. Normally
its cheaper than replacement.

longshot

No offense...but if you cant diagnose it, call someone that can. Normally
its cheaper than replacement.

none taken, I finally did what i should have done first, put a voltage meter
on it, I was not getting any power, I had a stubborn breaker switch that I
had to "reset" several times before it snapped back into operating position.
Thanks for all the responses.
Rob

"longshot" wrote in message

No offense...but if you cant diagnose it, call someone that can.

Normally
its cheaper than replacement.

none taken, I finally did what i should have done first, put a voltage

meter
on it, I was not getting any power, I had a stubborn breaker switch that I
had to "reset" several times before it snapped back into operating

position.
Thanks for all the responses.
Rob

Thats not stubborn, that is defective.

Replace it now. That can be, a VERY dangerous situation. Breakers should not
ever act like you just posted.

longshot

That's not stubborn, that is defective.

Replace it now. That can be, a VERY dangerous situation. Breakers should

not
ever act like you just posted.

sounds like good advice. Thanks, I will do that.

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 02:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 11:51 PM
Problem with new water heater (electric) - please advice Robert Home Repair 8 February 19th 04 06:27 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 06:23 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM