Charles Spitzer

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , Bob G
wrote:

Check out the cost of buying the tank. It may take ten years before you
save enough on the price of fuel to break even.

I just purchased a tank a few weeks ago...400 pound tank...a little
over 100 gallons..brand new @275 bucks...

Here in central Indiana where I live, a hundred gallons is a *very* small
tank
for a residence. You'd be filling that sucker at least once a week in
January
and February. In Minnesota, probably more like every two or three days.

Lots of people around here have *thousand*-gallon tanks. Try pricing one
of
*those*.

Just the difference in my
last 100 gallon purchase would have been 60 odd bucks..

IIRC, you posted that there was a difference of some 30 cents a gallon;
that
makes a difference of 30 dollars per hundred gallons, not 60.

since I filled
it 3 times last winter payback time is slightly less then 10 years
....more like about 1-2 years...

If you can get through a winter on three fills of a hundred-gallon tank,
then
you should quit complaining and count your blessings. :-) Either your
house is
unbelievably well insulated, or you live in a climate with *very* mild
winters. We're in a home with natural gas now, but in our previous home
with
LP, we needed five and sometimes six fills of a FIVE hundred gallon tank
get through the fall and winter.

gee, now i don't feel so bad. i have a 500 lp gallon tank (buried) that i
fill once/year. i haven't turned my heat on this winter yet, only using a
couple of gas fireplaces to take the chill out of the air when needed.

does burying the tank make it work better (less consumption), in that the
air temp really is ground temp, causing a higher boiling off temp?

--
Regards,

regards,
charlie