Prometheus

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:46:52 -0700, Steve Knight
wrote:

been using my delta 14" saw for about 10 years. been using the same blades
lenox bi metal blades forever too.
the first time it happed I was removing a piece of wood I cut only part way.
sometimes the wood binds a bit and pulls the blade. but it does not cause a
problem. but now the blade will jump forward and be about 1/2 on and 1/2 off the
wheel. at first I played around with the tracking to get it normal. but I found
that if I just undo the tension and get the blade in the middle and tighten it
it will move again the first time and stay the second usually. till something
causes it to jump 1/2 off the wheel again.
it tracks fine till that sudden jump. then it will stay there untilled I change
the tracking or undo and redo the tension.
the second time it happened it cut right through the blade guard sure startled
me (G)

Check the bearing on your idle wheel. We were having a problem with
this on one of the big saws at work, and about a week later the whole
bearing ripped itself to shreds. Made a lot of noise, but it didn't
damage anything- but with a 14" shop saw, that may be a different
story. It's definately worth checking out, anyhow.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam