Chris W

James Meyer wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:42:45 +0100, "R.Lewis" wroth:

Odd.
You state the rating of the cable and the connector which shows conclusively
that they will not do the job Then you state they will.

Any reason why?

I'll be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the ratings of the
connector/cable combination I specified at least equals the rating of the switch
used at the end of the cable.

Failure of the cable/connector part, however likely or unlikely, is
exactly equivalent to either opening or closing the switch. Why analy
overdesign any single part of a series connected system without overdesigning
*all* of the parts?

Jim

Being the OP I thought I would interject here. The switch at the other
end of the cable is rated at 10A 125VAC and something else at 250VAC.
When turned on the switch will deliver 120VAC mains line to a solenoid
valve on a 1/2 HP hydraulic power unit. And as another poster suggested
this switch is back up for a relay, which is why I want to be able to
unplug it. Thanks for the many suggestions. Most I couldn't find at a
price I wanted to to pay. I will probably go with a Mouser P/N
161-R30200 and 161-R331. I would have preferred the similar connectors
that had the prongs perpendicular to what those have since that is more
unlike anything else that plugs into the wall. The "old style"
connectors that someone suggested are way too crude looking for my
tastes. As for the RJ45 connector, it has several problems, other than
not handling mains like some say, the cable won't hold up very well on
the end of a control box, and having the RJ45 jack in my control box
might lead someone to think that the thing is network enabled and try to
hook it up to the network.

--
Chris W

Gift Giving Made Easy