Jeff Wisnia

Jerry Foster wrote:
Have bought a lot of stuff from HF over the years. Most of it is pretty
good. BUT, my rule is "Never buy anything with an edge on it; it won't have
one for long..."

snipped

Well, my experience today contradicts that.

I couldn't resist buying an assortment of 10 metalworking chisels and
punches from them when they were on sale for less than $5.00.

The chisels are the standard "cold chisel" style, with blade widths from
1/2" to 7/8" and there were a few flat ended round punches and a couple
of cone pointed round ones in the mix. The longest chisel was the 7/8"
wide one, at 9-1/2". All stamped "China".

Today I had to replace a brick in the bottom riser of our front steps.
Water must have gotten into it and frozen last winter, 'cause a big
chunk about half the length of the brick was missing, leaving an ugly
hole that kept catching my eye every time I walked toward it.

I didn't want to use one of my "good" chrome plated chisels so I grabbed
one of the HF ones and a hand sledge to knock out the rest of that brick
and its mortar. It was a PIA to reach, being only one course up from the
front walk. I was stuck with lying on my side most of the time so I
could see what I was doing.

When I was putting the tools away I looked at the business end of that
HF chisel and it was barely dulled. The striking end was a little
mushroomed but 30 seconds at the bench grinder had both ends looking
fine again.

I think I got my money's worth that time.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)