Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you choose LP don't run copper lines because if you ever decide to
run NG, you will have to replace all the lines. NG and copper don't
like each other. Remember also that you can't just switch lines and go,
all orifices on each device much be changed or you could have a fire. I
use LP and I lease the tank from the company for a one time fee of $50
and they come out whenever they feel like it and fill it up then send
me a bill. I'd like to switch over to NG just to get the big ugly tank
out of my yard but I have all copper pipes so I'd have to run all new
piping then change orifices on furnace, dryer and fireplaces. It's not
a fun project just to remove an eyesore. I like the independence also,
if the line is cut or shut off for some reason in the neighborhood, I
still have heat.

Actually....

In the past couple of years most areas are allowing copper to be used in NG
situations. *I* wont do it, since its prob going to be one of those things
that over time, we find out wasnt a good idea, and yes, I know why you dont
use copper with NG in areas with the "dirty" gas.
Its in the IGC book.

However, the one thing that no one has spoke of, is the gas diametric that
will have to be drawn up for the home, the difference in BTUs between the
two gases, and how if they go copper with LG, it will be too small to use
with NG.

The OP should for all intents, go with NG since its fairly close, the gas
lines can be ran one time and correctly, AND they get more BTUs for their
dollar.
SURE, you can convert a furnace to LPG, but you do know that the total BTU
rating goes DOWN. They have to burn more to get the same they get with NG.

With NG, its actually got more flexibility than LPG, and you dont have to
worry about tank location, tank filling, tank accessability, etc.
Im in the biz, and *IF* I HAD to chose one or the other, and thankfully I
dont (all electric and glad of it) it would be natural gas hands down.

maxinemovies wrote:
The gas company has lines about a hundred yards from where we're
building our house. They say it will be SIX WEEKS before they can

tell
us what it's going to cost to bring it in to our property.

On the other hand, we could just go with LP gas.

My feeling is that I'd rather have natural gas even if it costs a bit
to get it initially. LP gas also has an initial cost for tank, etc.,
doesn't it?

Any ideas on what it's going to cost them to bring the natural gas
lines in to our property? Educated guesses?

And opinions on which we should go with, natural or LP?

Many thanks.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.