Mike Henry

"distracted" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for a good used 36"ish lathe & small mill suitable for a
basement shop & preferably with some tooling & at a reasonable price.
Does anyone know where I might look in Toronto, Ontario or within a
few hours drive?

Chuckle!

36" lathe for your basement? Better be a walk-in. :-)

It might be a good idea to specify a swing while you're asking, assuming
you
aren't really looking for a 36" machine. Typically, when a lathe is
discussed, swing is the designation that is mentioned, with the distance
between centers coming next. A 36" machine would be a monster, needing
its own foundation, far more than a basement floor could support properly.

Good luck--

Moving a 36" lathe is actually quite doable Harold, depending on the lathe.
An Atlas/Craftsman 12"x36" can be moved by one person if the lathe is
strapped to a refrigerator dolly. A friend & I have moved a Clausing 12x36
and a Rockwell 11x24 to our respective basements, but each of those required
a fair amount of disassembly. Each of the latter two weighs around 1,000
lbs.

A Monarch lathe would be beyond by skill and tool set, but I seem to recal
pictures on the web somewhere of someone who managed it with the help of
professional riggers. They brought it in through an outside concrete
stairwell with a crane, AIR.

I've come to the conclusion that 1/2 ton is about as much as I can handle in
a basement move and that drops a few tens of pounds as each year passes.